Sunday, August 2, 2009

Long Two Months

Just finished two books on the subjects of cities, complexity, chaos theory, etc. The first was "The Self-Organizing Economy" by Paul Krugman. This book frustrated me for about 10 years, but I've finally made my way through it. The topic is fascinating, the writing less so. But, all in all, worth paying attention to (the guy won a Nobel Prize for his work in this area).

The second was "Complexity: The Emerging Science at the Edge of Order and Chaos" by M. Mitchell Waldrop. More like a history/story re: how the study of complexity began to take shape. The tough thing about this book is that it combines technical issues without much background info so while it is sort of interesting the lay person can/should skim various sections (if you are like me, you'll know when you get there because your eyes will glaze over).

Plus, I've since knocked down a couple of articles on the subject as well.

And, I found an interesting website on the topic: http://blog.casa.ucl.ac.uk/

Still lots more to learn and understand before getting back to some serious writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment